What are the Best Building Toys for Preschoolers?
I’m the mom of the busiest little four year old! I often get asked, what are the best building toys for preschoolers because they know that Tyler has a lot of them. We put together this really handy list of all our favorite preschool building toys for kids his age. We’re about more than just building blocks too, we’ve got some very interesting building toys that not so “square” here too!
Here are some of our Favorite Building Toys for Preschoolers!
Here are some more of our top picks for the best building toys for preschoolers geared at ages 3-5 years old. Imagination and innovation take flight in a preschoolers imagination when they have really cool building toys like these around.
Gears Gears Gears – Best Building Toys for Preschoolers #1
Tyler loves his Gears, Gears, Gears toys so much because they are not only build-able but they move too. Gears are cool STEM toys for preschoolers because they get them really thinking about motion.
- Stem building toy for preschoolers
- Explore early mathematics, science and engieering
- Super set has 90+ pieces inside!
Preschoolers can experiment with simple mechanics, science and mathematics at the same time. It’s more than just a building toy for a preschooler, it’s got so much developmental value. The bigger set has over 90+ pieces and it’s great for two or more kids!
Lego Duplo Building Sets are PERFECT for Preschoolers!
We love Lego Duplo sets because they are bigger sized blocks that our 4 year old can hold in his hand easily. They are easy to put together and pull apart and the instructions are very simple to follow. The directions are pictures of the blocks that they can follow step-by-step to build the different Duplo sets. We have the My First Playhouse set.
Colorful Magnetic Tiles for Preschool Age Kids
Magnetic Stick N Stack 120-Piece Classic Plus Set with 2 Wheel Bases
These colorful magnetic tiles make awesome building toys for a preschooler because they stick together by themselves. Each side of the colorful see-thru tile is magnetic which allows it to attach to the sides of other magnetic tiles.
- Introduces preschoolers to magnets
- Includes wheels, windows, doors and gates
- Tiles are magnetic on all sides
- See-thru tiles in red, blue, green, yellow and purple colors
My preschooler enjoys building houses, castles and cars. This set here has 120+ pieces to build a lot of cool things with.
Tinker Toys are Classic Building Toys for Preschoolers
Tinker toys are a unique building toy for preschoolers because they build with sticks and connector pieces instead bricks, blocks or tiles.
- Cool STEM toy for preschoolers
- Pieces easily snap together and stay together
- Build over 30 different models or construct your own!
Tinker toys have been around since 1913 – your Grandpa was playing with these! Preschoolers will sit down with these and tinker for hours, no joke!
Lincoln Logs are the Best Building Toys for Preschoolers!
Lincoln Logs are one of our favorite toys in the house because the kids really love building forts. Lincoln logs toys are easy for preschool age children to handle.
They fit together in a simple fashion that is easy to understand for their little minds. My kids love building their own little frontier town and playing with their little figures (see below)
- Made of real wood
- Build forts and lodges
- STEM toy for preschoolers
- Container for easy clean up and storage
Lincoln Logs Get Addictive!
My kids enjoy having little figures to go with their Lincoln Logs sets, it’s no fun to build a frontier town without people right? Lincoln Logs toys also get very addictive and there are more sets available should you want to branch out!
Preschoolers LOVE Building with Pipes
“Buy It! It’s the BEST!” that’s just our opinion but our preschooler really loves piecing together the different tube tunnels to create different structures and animals. It’s made of a really durable plastic that allows the pieces to snap together and pull apart easily. Everything you build stays together with these tubular parts.
- Great first building toy
- Quality parts
- Easy construction
- Solid entertainment for preschoolers
This really is one of those “hours of play” building toys – not just hype you hear.
Bristle Blocks are Cool Building Blocks for Preschoolers
Do you remember growing up with Bristle Blocks? I do and that’s why I knew my preschooler would love building with them!
Bristle building blocks have what look like combs on every side and they attach to one another in different fashions. These are a unique building toy because they don’t have to line up perfectly to be put together.
- Soft, interlocking Bristles
- Blocks fasten to one another from any side
- 112 pieces, including 4 wheels
- Build 2D and 3D structures
Big Cardboard Building Blocks for Preschoolers
These giant cardboard bricks and blocks are fun to stack and build with if you’re a preschooler. They’re lightweight and easy to stack making them fun to build forts out of. The blocks are very sturdy, made of a heavy duty cardboard, they can be played with over and over and over.
Brain Flakes are Good Building Toys for Preschoolers
Brain flakes build all sorts of different things. These colorful little flakes interconnect with one another to create just about anything your preschooler can imagine. There is no right or wrong way to build with brain flakes.
- Super simple construction
- 500 pieces flakes
- Interlocking discs make infinite designs
- Great for hand eye coordination
- Create anything!
See all PRESCHOOL AGE Building Toys on Amazon
- What are the Best Building Toys for Preschoolers?
- Here are some of our Favorite Building Toys for Preschoolers!
- Gears Gears Gears – Best Building Toys for Preschoolers #1
- Lego Duplo Building Sets are PERFECT for Preschoolers!
- Colorful Magnetic Tiles for Preschool Age Kids Magnetic Stick N Stack 120-Piece Classic Plus Set with 2 Wheel Bases
- Tinker Toys are Classic Building Toys for Preschoolers
- Lincoln Logs are the Best Building Toys for Preschoolers!
- Lincoln Logs Get Addictive!
- Preschoolers LOVE Building with Pipes
- Bristle Blocks are Cool Building Blocks for Preschoolers
- Big Cardboard Building Blocks for Preschoolers
- Brain Flakes are Good Building Toys for Preschoolers
- See all PRESCHOOL AGE Building Toys on Amazon